Strawberry Fair is a volunteer-run not-for-profit organisation
Our core beliefs
Our constitution defines what we are and how we operate. As a document, it's pretty dry, but it encapsulates some key points:
"The Fair is free to enter and all entertainments and activities are free."
That's everything from watching bands, through kids jumping on bouncy slides and getting their faces painted in the Kids Area, to taking part in workshops.
"The Fair is for the benefit of the local community, particularly children and young people."
The Fair always has a focus on active community involvement, with space for local people of all ages to create, perform and take part.
Strawberry Fair has always been fiercely independent, steering clear of any major sponsorship and other influences that might undermine this. All the entertainments and activities at the Fair are provided without reliance on council, government or commercial funding. The bulk of the money for Strawberry Fair comes from our lovely traders who pay to be at the Fair. However, that in itself is not enough and volunteers work year round to raise money to bring Cambridge this free day out, through running events such as The Cambridge Band Competitions, 'open mic' nights, and other fund-raising activities.
How we operate
Groups and sub-groups
Strawberry Fair and other events through the year are planned and organised by the Committee of members through meetings, workshops, etc.
To make the huge task more manageable, the following groups take on specific aspects of the overall tasks:
- Programming Group
- Communications Group
- Finance and Admin Group
- Infrastructure Group
The groups are underpinned by the Steering Group that maintains an overview of the organisation to ensure that required decisions get made, and in a timely manner.
The Steering Group is made up of the Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, the Head of each Group, and two extra-ordinary Committee members.
- organise all entertainments, including bands, arts, kids, parade and decor
- organise benefit gigs, workshops and other events throughout the year
- press, student and local media
- web and social media
- community and residents' relations
- programme design and advertising
Finance and Admin Group
- set and oversee Fair and subgroup budgets
- oversee the mailout to, and booking of, stall traders
- ensure invoices etc are paid promptly
- maintain petty cash and log cash in/outflow on the day
- merchandise purchase & sales
- maintain web and email systems
Event Management Group
- ensure licence requirements and deadlines are met
- organise the Traffic Management Plan and road closures
- arrange passes, crew meals and welfare, on-site office and supplies, Lost Property
- stewarding, safety and First Aid
- draw up site plan (with Programming and Event Management)
- source fencing, staging, generators, etc
- set up site the week before and manage on the day
- take down and clear up afterwards
Strawberry Fair recently moved from operating as an unincorporated organisation to a company limited by guarantee. The motivation for this was to operate within a structure that provides protection for the members (in terms of liability etc) while maintaining the core ethos of Strawberry Fair.
The registered directors of the company are the Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.