Formerly known as the Green Area, Scarecrow Corner is celebrating 19 years at Strawberry Fair!
With our roots firmly planted in the environmental protest and free festival scene, we have always had a strong presence. 2016 will be no different and will see some familiar faces and some new. The opening ceremony will be held as ever in our Druidic Sacred Space at midday - also a perfect place to chill out during the day. Other attractions include willow weaving, herbalists, traditional spinning demonstration, tarot reading, a face painting tipi, the Peace Labyrinth and more.... As well as the many local campaign groups, there is also the 'Love Music, Hate Racism' small stage.
This year, our main stage is provided by the legendary Wango Riley's Travelling Stage with a heady mix of bands and DJ's. Plus where else can you see a grown adult escape from a straightjacket on rollerskates and put 6" nails up his nose?!! All in the best possible taste and keeping it wild.
Scarecrow Corner Grand Raffle
The Scarecrow Corner Fundraiser for Strawberry Fair is now alive and kicking! We are holding a Grand Raffle with well over 20 prizes so far and the list is growing. Tickets are on sale at £1 each and the raffle will be drawn on the Scarecrow Corner stage on the day of the Fair. The list of prizes includes piercing and tattooing vouchers, food and drink vouchers, handmade jewellery, artwork, handmade soap, a bottle of brandy, loads of band merchandise plus lots more...
A full list of all prizes can be found on the Scarecrow Corner Facebook page -https://www.facebook.com/ScarecrowCornerStrawberryFair/
Tickets are available leading up to the Fair from Tim Neate and Lizzie Ruffell and in The Devonshire Arms and will also be on sale on the day.
Prizes so far in the Scarecrow Corner Grand Raffle
- £20 e-voucher to spend on fabulous, unique hand-made jewellery by ‘SnixySwoons’ in her shop on Etsy. https://www.etsy.com/shop/SnixySwoo...
- Merchandise bundle from the mighty P.A.I.N who will be playing on the ScarecrowCorner stage this year. https://www.facebook.com/Propaganda...
- Merhcandise bundle from this years headliners, Johnny Cage and the Voodoo Groove. http://thevoodoogroove.com/
- 2 pints of real ale at The Devonshire Arms pub, Devonshire Rd, Cambridge.https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-...
- Merchandise bundle from last years headliners, Blackbird Raum.http://www.blackbirdraum.net/
- Merchandise bundle from New Model Army. http://www.newmodelarmy.org/
- A beautiful set of cards featuring artwork by Tim Neate
- Organic soap handmade by Habetrot’s Cauldron
- Piercing Voucher worth £25 from ‘Fabio’s Tattoo Studio’ on Mill rd.http://tattooingbyfabio.com/
- Piercing voucher worth £25 from ‘Victoria Road Tattoo’ on Victoria rd.https://victoriaroadtattoo.com/
- 1 hr tattoo voucher worth £75 with Dan at ‘Victoria Road Tattoo’ on Victoria rd.https://victoriaroadtattoo.com/
- Set of art prints featuring artwork by Dan Pettit.
- Signed photograph of Hugh Jackman, aka ‘Wolverine’.
- Voucher for a pizza and a pint at ‘The Haymakers’ pub on High st.https://www.individualpubs.co.uk/ha...
- Tarot reading with Anu worth £45.
- Bottle of Brandy.
- Merchandise bundle from Tarantism. https://www.facebook.com/tarantismu...
- Selection of handmade chilli sauces from Schmergmeister Boutique Chilli Sauces.http://schmerge.co.uk/
Benefit gig for Scarecrow Corner
Sunday May 15th, Devonshire Arms, Cambridge
Strawberry Fairies present a night of music and spoken word featuring The Antipoet, Stumble Col, Banjo Nick, Murder Ballads, Habetrots Voice, Mark McGivern and Bella Basura in the back room of The Devonshire Arms, a real ale pub on Devonshire Road, just off Mill Rd, Cambridge
The event is a benefit gig for Strawberry Fair's Scarecrow Corner. Suggested donation of £2.
Festival favourites, The Antipoet headline the evening for us. They are Paul Eccentric (words – lots of words – and vocals, occasional triangle and cowbell, of punk heritage) and the taller, more hirsute Ian Newman (full-size double bass-man and interjectionist, also contributing harmony). Prolific propagators and propagandists for poetry and the spoken word, they are artists of a sensitive disposition (to quote from one of their signature pieces); they are also Men of a muchness (a notion I’d riff on further here if I could recall a single line of one of their most songiest of pieces) and have been known to wear leather skirts.
Home grown Punkabilly Blues, played on home made Instruments, vocals, slide guitar played on his own cigar box guitars, harmonica, briefcase bass drum, pre-recorded beats! Original songs with an edge of raw emotion and heart felt honesty!
Folk and blues from local performer.
Anna and Russell are a Cambridge based acoustic deep and dark blues duo performing original material, with an original sound.
Dark and depressing traditional and modern folk songs from Lizzie Ruffell and Olivia Love Bull - folk songs to cut your wrists to.
Spoken word from long standing Strawberry Fair volunteer, Mark performs poems of street lives, night lives and love lives.
Local witch, is a self-published writer and poet who has written and performed under the names Jean Dark and Bella Basura.
Please note that the line-up maybe subject to change.
Raffle tickets for the Scarecrow Corner Grand Raffle will be on sale for £1 each.